Nightly Volunteer Team
With the assistance of over 400 volunteers, we are able to provide overnight shelter, hot meals and overnight chaperones.
Each night a team of volunteers is required. Duties are as follows:
- Registration/Intake Desk
- Meal Preparation (Meals are prepared off-site)
- Meal Service
- Overnight Chaperones – At least 1 Male/1 Female
- On Call Laundry Volunteers-as needed
The Severe Weather Network (SWN) provides applicable training for all volunteers. Volunteers who are going to be in direct contact with guests (Registration Desk, Meal Servers, Overnight Chaperones) are required to attend the training class prior to volunteering at a Severe Weather Center (SWC). The SWN has enlisted the help of local law enforcement to provide certain modules of the training course.
All new volunteers (in contact with SWN guests) are required to complete the SWN Training. For those who completed SWN Training, there is no additional training required.
The following topics will be covered in the SWN Training Course:
- SWN Information
- Homelessness and Community Resources
- De-escalation Techniques and Strategies
- Practice & Discussion
On Site Training Completed at the Host Site
- Tour of Host Site Facility
- Emergency Processes and Procedures
- SWC Procedures Specific to the Host Site
ONLINE TRAINING INFORMATION
SWN Volunteer Training